Sunday Gathering

Have I said that sometimes, I am proud to be Nigerian? Yes I am.

Ask me why? Cos we know how to have fun. Give a Nigerian a few people to hang out with, he is laughing his head off whilst his cheeks hurt. Add an iPod and an iPod dock and the party is rolling out.

I went to my friends birthday a while ago . A little gathering with family and friends and I had more fun than another person would have in a club. Suffice to say that most of them were medi-lag students who are here doing a masters coincidentally at the same uni again, you can imagine the atmosphere. They all laughed and joked, I laughed so hard, you would think I went to medilag with them and I wasn't at least 6 years younger than them. The atmosphere was nothing like the one I hear about in clubs where everyone can see into everyone else's nostrils because they all have their noses up in the air.

Brings me to ask, why do we do so? Is it that it's a generation thing? Cos theirs seem a bit more friendly than mine.

Why have we decided that we want to show how much better than the other person we are?

Here's an example. My friends went to a BBQ last year or the a few years ago that was organized by a QC babe, so obviously most of her guests were QC babes who came with their friends or boyfriends. I heard the reception was so bad that people weren't mingling. They all stood around in their little cliques, assessing the other from the type of hair extension on their heads to the nail polish on their toe nails. People felt intimidated by their own peers. and couldnt even have fun as a group.
I'm not saying anything about QC babes, please don't get me wrong ( I'm not one of those school bashing people). I'm just using this as an example because QC girls are large in number, so they can easily have an effect on a gathering, especially when the majority of them there are from the same school. If it were mine, the reverse would be the case. Not because we dont adopt this nose in the air attitude but because my school was quite small and you just had to be friends with everyone, even down to the juniors.

So I ask, why are we so rigid and narrow minded? It baffles me. Would people like to explain this to me? Cos I want to be under the impression that its because they are so many in their school, they feel the need to stand out of the crowd. Agreed.
But what is not agreed is that, this behaviour is only typical of those whom puberty is still messing with their brains. So why do we, young adults, who are no longer teenagers display this abhorrent attitude?

9 Cogitations:

Miss Enigma said...

...Lol, I think this goes for most adult groups not jst the young ones.

I think sometimes when people feel insecure bout themselves, they decided to step aside n judge others almost lyk a competition.

And I do agree my QC gurls cld be standoffish...but not all of us. Sometimes, we all get put under d same umbrella, but we are all not that way. And some jst feel more comfortable with people who they've knwon for years.

Miss Enigma said...

Yay!!! I was first...lol

Fabulo-la said...

One word.
Insecurity.

Anonymous said...

lol...i think its a complex thing...they are insecure about themselves and think outting another person down will make them feel better about themselves.

Sir Scribbles said...

lol! It's cos we feel the need to compete which is a trait most visible in men but also exhibited by women. PPle who are insecure and timid will use other mechanism as excuses for their weaknesses. na why I like myself...una must mingle by force oh! and wat is dis thing wiv QC babes abeg...right 4rm sec. skool I've heard that they are unfriendly. I know a couple of them and they aren't like dat...abi is it a gripu thing...singularly they're kool..in a group you'd get murdered lol...as Fabulo-la and leggy said..insecurity

Dame Halos said...

i think its a female habit...we always want to be the best looking one in the room...some call it insecurity...but i tell you..i am not insecure but i am guilty of this as well ..I am not even gonna lie...we all know we do it...guys on the other side can meet a dude at a party and chat away like they are best friends...women are just to busy sizing up their "competition"..its a bad habit...lol

juiceegal said...

@ Undercover07: So ur a QC Babe??? Hmmmn nice...im one too
@Sir scribbles: you've summed it up real nicely,singularly we are nice but as a group,meet the bitches..lol
I get what u mean....i guess its insecurity if u ask me....QC babes are definitely guilty of doin that....lemme not lie,iv been guilty of it too,but its not necessary abeg.

olaoluwatomi said...

I think you have the same type of people in different schools, snobs, friendly, jumpy, smiley etc lets say some schools have a higher concentration of some groups than others QC not being an exception!

Good Naija Girl said...

I was going to say that adults behave like this too but UnderCover07 beat me to it! Early in my blog, I wrote about how my peers at the parties I tend to go to (you know, those ones that have everyone from newborns to grandparents at them?) are so cliquish and I don't even dare smile or wave in their direction because I feel like every inch of me is being judged.

Maybe they just don't like strangers...I don't know!