Trust me?

I'm sure loads of people have stressed this topic and opinions are saturated on this front. But I got thinking lately, on how trust is generated, maintained and possibly lost.

When people say 'oh that girl is so trustworthy', what do they mean? She can be trusted to deliver? Or she can be trusted with a secret? Does it mean you have faith in the person? Or you just believe that the person has your back wherever you or they may be? How is trust quantified?

In relationships, we talk about trust being the foundation of a good relationship and when it starts to waver, then we say that there seems to be a problem.

Trust is a human attribute, agreed?

So why then is a 'trustworthy' person given extra props if its meant to be an attribute that we all should have. It's just like those who argue that Fashola shouldnt be given extra credit for his work in Lagos state, because its his job anyway. Same goes for why should a person be given lofty praises when we are all supposed to be trustworthy. Would you compliment someone for breathing? I think not.

Its been dancing around in my head what other people's definitions of trust is? By that definition, what then does the said individual have to do before they lose that trust?

I ask because recently, I have been let down by many and I'm beginning to think if I have the meaning of trust misconstrued. I believe that when I trust people, they will not hurt me in anyway. When they do, they are honest and apologetic about it. Or at the very least accepting of the situation, even if no extra effort is made to rectify it, as the damage has been done already.

So whats your definition of trust?

7 Cogitations:

Spesh said...

Well,one does one define trust???
I guess its a feeling developed by what people actually do and not just say arnd you.

Miss Definitely Maybe said...

trust needs to be always put in context,
i trust my secretary (work) to always deliver my reports on time and be efficient etc but i dont trust her handling my personal ish
trust my mother to have my back but i dont trust her with secrets she is a blabbermouth
I trust my best friend with my secrets but i nevcer trust her where finances are concerned i.e lending her m coz she never returns it. What im trying to say is trst is not a blanket emotions its always in context

chayomao said...

Trust is a feeling that grows (or develops) from people's actions not just by word of mouth!
it has got depth too.
i mean, i may trust my friends to have my back in times of trouble but not necessarily to keep secrets.. well certain secrets

Yankeenaijababe said...

I know that feeling, it has happened to me before. I put my full trust on God only. People are bound to always let one down, it happens and just a sad part of life. Hang in there, you will be renewed again.

It is actually very hard to define trust knowing it's something has to happen naturally. You don't look for trust in people, you let it happen. For example , a relationship between a man and woman, friends, boss and employees. I really hope this was helpful.

Hugs!

Fabulo-la said...

give ur all n expect nothing in return.
if that makes any sense..but thats my definition sha.
Me I understand. lol

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet online, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, longchamp outlet online, kate spade handbags, jordan shoes, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, gucci handbags, nike air max, coach purses, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion, oakley sunglasses, oakley vault, kate spade outlet online, chanel handbags, tiffany jewelry, ray ban outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, prada outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton handbags, prada handbags, nike free, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet online, burberry outlet online, louis vuitton, burberry outlet online, coach outlet store online, red bottom shoes, nike shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet store

oakleyses said...

moncler, timberland shoes, hollister, louis vuitton canada, toms outlet, juicy couture outlet, louboutin, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo uk, nike air max, converse, baseball bats, canada goose pas cher, ugg, canada goose, canada goose uk, moncler, supra shoes, ray ban, oakley, pandora jewelry, moncler, replica watches, links of london uk, hollister canada, hollister clothing, iphone 6 case, moncler, pandora charms, canada goose, parajumpers outlet, lancel, gucci, ralph lauren, swarovski uk, montre femme, pandora uk, air max, converse shoes, swarovski jewelry, karen millen, moncler, vans, uggs canada, moncler outlet, coach outlet, wedding dress, moncler