Sibling Rivalry

Yes, that's my burden for this year. For many years now and maybe more.

No preambles today. I'll go straight to my worries. I have 3 older siblings who are 2 years apart each, but the lowest number of years between myself and them is 13 years. *Do the math. I like to feel a little cryptic with myself. Allow me to amuse myself*

Anyways. They were boarding school students so I never saw them very often and as soon as they finished secondary school, they left for the UK. So I grew up with me, my ears and my mother.
I heard from them often. Here's how. The first would call home, speak to my mother and say a quick hello to me. The 2nd wrote me countless number of letters and the third, said hello via birthday cards.
One more thing, here's how we bonded. The first dealt with my clothes and shoes, I never lacked. The second bought me books and my first dictionary, albeit half eaten by her boyfriends dog and the other, well random things here and there.

I was a sucker for letters and anything called a book, so it goes without saying who I bonded with the most.

Now growing up, I had no favourites. They are all my siblings. I love them all.

Fast forward to end of secondary school and I'm leaving Nigeria and headed for the UK. The oldest believes I'm supposed to join her in the US. I refuse, very politely. I mean my first nephew by her is just about 3 younger than I am, so I definitely can't be rude

I choose to stay in the UK with the second and all hell is let lose.

Both of them have had fights since they all got to England. This is going on 20yrs. Now it looks like I've taken sides in a matter that has been going on even before I could read.

At this age though, I feel like I have a right to take sides. Especially when one party says harsh and evil things to the other. So much so that it's detrimental to her life, to her marriage and to her sanity. Sorry why am I not allowed to take sides? When the side I chose was the one that could be bothered to ask me what I wanted to do? Rather than force nursing down my throat like medicine. So no one has the right to be upset that they weren't told I'd graduated. If they bothered to ask what I was doing, then they wouldn't need to find out from facebook that I'd bagged that certificate.

So no one has any right to call this side and ask to call the other side. For what I ask? For what reason? Because that side is god and I'm supposed to have my tail between my legs and return home like the prodigal child. Excuse my French but that is bullshit served on a platter.

I have been quiet, but I shan't any longer. It is unfair that I have to do anything. 4 or 40, no individual is too big to apologise. And if they are, well I'm assuming they are too big to accept one, so none will be rendered on my part

Unfortuantely, ties have been severed and people like my almost 20yr old nephew and his siblings will be the ones to suffer for it.
But right now, in as much as I feel for those kids, I could care less about anyone else.

And to think they didn't see all these coming as kids. They apparently had a great time as kids. So God knows what happened during the transition to adulthood.

Lessons learnt though Most of all is to be able to detect these signs in my kids and avoid the he'll I've been through for them.

I hope we all do



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

13 Cogitations:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm,....

Happy New Year

CousCous...xoxo said...

awww pele..i cant pretend to understand what that feels like cos i am the first child..but one could only pray that something knocks their head and they see sense..xoxo..p.s i like ur blog never been before..

histreasure said...

sibling rivalry can be a nasty emotional b@##ch esp when u get caught in the middle or have an overbearing older sis..it's never easy and it's good to make ur own decisions so while i cannot presume to know how you feel(i can only imagine it) try not to cut her off totally esp her kids.. hope it gets better this year

NaijaBabe said...

- Rethots- Happy new year to you too

-Cous Cous- Thanks for the visit. I dont pray for it for anyone cos its a lifetime headache

-Histreasure- It is indeed. Unfortunately, we've totally been cut off, but I do pray thats fixed soon. I really hope

leggy said...

i hope you guys resolve it oh.

Good Naija Girl said...

Awww, I hope things resolve themselves in the future. Sometimes it takes a serious situation to bring people together but I hope it doesn't have to come to that.

I sometimes wonder if my siblings and I will have a huge fight that will cause us to cut ties. I really hope not, but as long as my brothers remain so selfish, it's a possibility :(.

Good Naija Girl said...

I meant to say in the near future.

Isabella said...

Dang, I won't lie I would hate to have more than one sister!! In as much as I cry for an older sister I think I just want a friend who can be one to me. I really pray it all gets better because family rivalry can get deep!!

Rita said...

If it can be fixed, help them fix it...not good when family members are in rivalry...

And happy new year...

Myne said...

Happy New year dear but about your siblings, I hope you guys are able to sort it our sooner rather than later.

doll (retired blogger) said...

happy new yr..on r sis wow! if they live apart...continents apart..hw hard is it to get along? mayb u should tell ur mum about it

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

na wa oh! Quick question, apart from the fact that your sis in yankee has been evil to the sis you live with, has she done anything to you personally to warrant the coldness, or has it all been by implication of her war with the sis you opted to live with? Just wondering because I got the impression that the wahala stems from her 'fighting' with another of your sisters and not you personally.

And what about your other sister? Has she (the 3rd sis) also been drawn into this mess?

The reason why I ask is because I hope that despite your grievances, you or your 3rd sis has managed to not engage directly in the fighting because that would leave at least one person to someday bring all of you back together. You probably don't want to hear that, but this is what my heart says, do forgive my forwardness.

I believe there can at least be peace between you all, even if you don't become best friends and I hope that eventually becomes the case. Life is too short to harbor such grudges against people, even family members. Trust me, I know from experience and till this day, a little part of me regrets. And that little part of me won't let me forget, even though I was not the one in the wrong.

Anyway, my sista, I was thinking of you while listening to Fela's CBB (remember when you had it on here? You introduced me to that song, lol!), so I had to come say howdy and happy new year!

NaijaBabe said...

- Leggy, thank dear
- GNG, trust me with guys, life is so much easier.
- Miss Flyhigh.- You can say that again.
-Rita, Unfortunately, Its now out of my hands. Not alot I can do. Happy new year to you too darl.
- Myne Whitman, I hope so too...its rather disheartening
Doll- Thanks
-SS- I havent been cold to her. She although started it when I decided to live with the 2nd. And as at when I chose to live here, I had no idea about a lot of the things that were going on, so I know I didnt choose based on that. Though she chose to do a lot more horrible things since then. As for the 3rd, yes, unfortunately, she has picked sides and has also decided to shut me out. So as you can see, its really not in my hands anymore. I do pray it gets sorted tho.