Finding me...

Recently, I ran into an old friend, and the first thing she said was, "you havent changed". I said to her, now that you've said that, I'd like you to please tell me how I was that I havent changed from.

Her statement made me a bit disappointed in myself that, perhaps I wasnt doing so much in line with my new year resolutions. Then again, its only the 22nd, I cant turn a new leaf in a second.

I consider myself to be a pretty nice person. At secondary school, I was usually the first to talk to that new student, however creepy he or she might look, considering how un-inviting the atmosphere of secondary school is and how unfriendly teenagers can get. After the person had warmed up to the class, I'd back out and leave the person be.
I wasnt much of a clique person. I spent alot of time with my juniors, mainly because when I started the school, there were less that 10 of us in each class and we all became friends, especially as the students in the class a year above mine refused to be friends with us.
Even after getting to final year at secondary school and becoming the senior prefect, I still didnt look down on my mates, let alone the junior ones, so much so that it used to piss the girls in my class off, that I was hob-nobbing with the 'juniors'.

Having said that, I had my boundaries. I had days where I would'nt say a word to anyone, maybe because I just didnt feel like it, or I'd had too much trouble at home, that it had changed my whole perception of my life.

I believe I am one to give more, in a relationship, be it with a girl or boy...(not that kind of relationship...silly). I worry over everything. The slightest change in the person's demeanour arouses my worry, and I always think it has something to do with me. It's never them, its me. I always feel the need to make sure that they are pleased with me, that I'm not being a pest and if they needed their space, all they need do was raise the hand and I'd be gone, though I'd still be around the corner, if I was needed.

I was talking to someone the other day and he said, ''you are always so emotionless'', another said, why are you always so cold? , another said, whats the matter, you seem to be so snappy these days?

Now, I am as confused as you are.

I know some will say, 'let them say', 'you are your own person', dont let people judge you.
Well honestly, however misconstrued people's judgements may be, theres always an iota of truth in it, right?

So this is my blogger 'honesty box'...
Pretend, I havent just biased your thinking with all of the above, as accuratley as you can, I want you to tell me what your impression of me is. From whatever it is you may have read, other posts, some of you that I may have spoken to, or even met.
Who is this person?



Here's Gloria Gaynor

20 Cogitations:

NaijaScorpio said...

I wish i could tell u what my impression of u is, but i dont think this is the right forum for it cos u really can't tell someone's true real life personality from a blog. You can have a blog personality but i don't that's sufficient in this case.

Love urself. Accept urself. You are who u r. As long as u r happy with urself and know that u dont cause people harm, why r u worried. You can't be like anyone else, and anyone else can't be u. That's why we are all unique.

NaijaBabe said...

True words sting...thanks alot

Anonymous said...

Sting hit (hammered) the nail square on the head.... I'll just add that maybe u need to be more discerning of your friends and the roles they play in your life.... Some peeps have a genuine desire to see you succed and will go out of their way to give you all the constructive criticism you need, some people will just ignore you cos they can't be bothered or they'd feel like they are encroaching on your space if they offered criticism, some people tho are only in your life to rub you the wrong way.. Key is balance -- knowing which "basket" each friend of yours is and taking their words with the appropriate level of seriousness......

NaijaBabe said...

Thank you Danny, I guess you are quite right. The problem now is to "know who fits in what basket...hmmm

Anonymous said...

That's the million dollar question i guess.. But one way i've used is to check the frequency and the timing.. Someone who wants to offer constructive criticism, would not react on the spur of the moment, will not do it publicly, and will provide solutions, or at least directions to resolve the issues he/she has highlighted... Still remember very clearly the day my "big Sister" Di -- gave me a thorough dressing down -- she bought me lunch and then "yabbed" me very well over the food -- Left fuming inwardly, but even i, the quintessential pig-headed dude had to admit she was right.. and i've always being grateful for her having the boldness to do it.. plus the food.....lol...

NaijaBabe said...

Lol,....I should meet your sister and hang out with her for a while..lets see what she comes up with...
but thanks anyway, that was really helpful

Tigeress said...

I cant give an opinion of you as i have not met u in person. But i'll say this- we cant all please everybody. Someone will always have something negative to say. As long as your personality is not ugly- embrace who you are. I've never been one to support i'm-friends-with-the-whole-world bs. Personally- i reckon everybody can not be your friend. But moving to the US- it has not sat well with folks here- they are all friends with each other. bloody irks me!! lol!!

I guess you just have to learn to be content with just that friend or 2 that accepts u for who u are. And as for those that complain about you- X them!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm. I think I could tell the sort of person you are from your blog post contrary to sting and others have said. I think you are a loner who some times wishes she wasnt. You feel more comfortable with yourself when you can be yourself but yet you yearn to be loved completely by your friends and a lover. You yearn for company but you wont seek it out. You are an island who wishes someone worthy would invade the island. You are kind but honest, you are confident and you value euthencity. On the other hand I might just be describing myself. I hope I was not too forward.

Bwari Boy said...

My opinion is "shimple" and pretty accurate too. This Babe must be a Fela addict. I cant go wrong with that, can I ?

I concur with Sting. Just be u men. Pls dont change the playlist . I come here to listen to Fela o .... and read d blog sometimes.

? said...

Don't bother visiting my blog since I will not be blogging any longer :) I am only passing through on my way out of blogville. Just had to say I enjoyed the tunes on here especially cbb. Thank you very much. Best wishes

ee said...

From what have read..we have alot in common.
And u can only be U....So do u Mama!!!

ee said...

Hello...you have been tagged! see my page for info.Gracias!!!

achoiceofweapons said...

So far you seem like you just your own person. I'll come back to it after a few weeks and see. I don't think my impression will change though.

Stop by
Mista Jaycee

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Why are you worrying about this? Really? My sista, now worry about this, it isn't necessary.

You believe you are a good person, shebi? You have your family and friends who love you, shebi? That is all that matters oh. Its 2009, no time for self doubt inspired by people who don't know you well enough. If she thinks you haven't changed, consider it a good thing.

See you around.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, let me see you to confirm that ""you havent changed""; think thee not?

Geebee said...

Now it’s true that there’s an iota of truth in people’s judgments but I choose to follow what my heart tells me about myself and I guess it’ll be cool if you do thesame . . . Hear the bible. If your heart does not condemn you, then you are good to go (my own version). However, our hearts could be partial sometimes you know. Nonetheless, sincerity towards yourself and others is what counts the most and that’s just what makes you a great person. Nice cogitations you’ve got here.

Jaguda said...

gloria gaynor was hot

Buttercup said...

I honestly cud not read u just by reading ur blog, i didnt know how to place u but now that we talk outside blogville, u seem like a really warm, friendly and lively person..where the hell is the coldness ur friends r talking about??? Lol..

Buttercup said...

I honestly cud not read u just by reading ur blog, i didnt know how to place u but now that we talk outside blogville, u seem like a really warm, friendly and lively person..where the hell is the coldness ur friends r talking about??? Lol..

Monef said...

This is my first visit to your blog, but I will definitely be back for more. Reading your words, on some level I felt as though they were mine. I am similar n the sense that I always want to please everyone and I never want any of my friends to be upset with me. I am fairly reserved, and once had an acquaintance ask me why I am emotionless. That hurt, because it couldn't be farther from the truth. Such is life.

I learned the hard way last year that even though you may set these standards for yourself in friendship, others play by a different set of rules and when you violate one of their rules,the will come down on you regardless of all the other good you may have done.

It sounds like a trite soundbyte, but it really is true, you cannot please everyone. Live your life to the fullest, be the best you can be and the wheat will fall away from the chaff and reveal your true friends.